Somewhere you feel welcome
A sense of place
The Hall is reported to have no less than three resident ghosts: an old lady who comes and kneels at the foot of a bed in the Old Nursery, another appears outside the main reception and passes through the inner hall, and the third (perhaps the old Butler) walks above the Rose Room. Nevertheless there is no need for concern as all our ghosts are as friendly as our staff.
Sir Thomas Chaloner bought the Guisborough Monastic Estate from the Crown for the princely sum of £854/13/4d.
Admiral Thomas Chaloner (1815-1884) built “Longhull” on the site of an old farmhouse. The oldest parts of today’s Hall are the results of his labours. Above the front door you will see the “Admiral’s Room”, a room built to represent his naval past with a forecastle and porthole.
After the Admiral’s death the estate passed to Richard Godolphin Walmesley who was elevated to the House of Lords and took the title Lord Gisborough, spelt GIS believing through research that this was indeed the more ancient and correct way.
The house was extended and the billiard room added with rooms above. The family lived in the Hall until the Second World War when the army requisitioned it. After the war it was leased to the North Riding Council as an old people’s home.
Gisborough Hall operated as a non-residential banqueting hall and restaurant.
The Hall was refurbished and extended. The billiard room became Chaloner’s restaurant; the kitchen became the G Bar and Bistro. The original dining room has been renamed Longhull after the original house and is now used for meetings and private dining. The butler’s pantry now houses reception.
Book direct for the best deals
Getaway for a 3 night stay in North Yorkshire from just £125 per room per night. Enjoy picturesque walks soaking up the autumnal colours in our beautiful surrounding countryside and coastline. Or for total relaxation take a seat by the log fire, whilst sipping a drink or two.
To book now please call 01287 611500 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org